Thursday, February 25, 2016

Grit to Great

As a volunteer for the Real Estate Association of Puget Sound (REAPS), I have been given many tokens of appreciation - which I enjoy! One of them recently was to select a few books from the stack distributed to top volunteers. One of the books that I selected was Grit to Great: How perseverance, passion and pluck take you from ordinary to extraordinary by authors Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval.

Often the only thing that separates winners from losers is this thing called "grit." The authors give numerous examples of people who have become successful against all odds. An example is the lesson summed up by Michael Jordan about what it takes to become the best player in basketball history:

"I've missed more than nine thousand shots in my career. I've lost almost three hundred games. Twenty-six times, I've been entrusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life, and that's why I succeed."

Most people are surprised to learn that hard work can be the key to personal happiness, as well as its own reward.

Those who succeed work hard, they have a vision for their life, and they do not give up, even when the odds are stacked against them.

At the same time, those who succeed are often the ones giving back to society the most. The authors quoted a study from JAMA Pediatrics which claims that "even completing five small acts of kindness...one day a week for six weeks created a significant boost in overall feelings of well-being. And the effects are cumulative. Imagine the benefits of working full-time for decades helping others."

Real estate entrepreneurs will find great lessons and motivation in this book about the importance of vision, hard work, ethical work habits, consistency, persistence, and belief in helping others. This book is an easy read, and a reminder to keep on keeping on - even when the going gets tough!

The next book I will be reviewing is Richard Branson's The Virgin Way. Keep reading this blog to catch it soon!

Happy Investing!

No comments: