Thursday, April 15, 2010

New Lead Paint Requirements

Effective on April 22nd, the new EPA Residential Property Renovation rules for pre-1978 housing renovations apply when doing any repair or maintenance activities that disturb 6 sq. ft. or more of paint per room inside, or 20 sq. ft. or more on the exterior of a home or building.

Any work exceeding these minimal areas must be done by a certified lead paint contractor. This includes plumbing, heating and air conditioning, painting, wall covering, electrical, finish carpentry, drywall, insulation, siding, tile, glass and glazing work. And know that the EPA considers rental income as compensation for
purposes of this rule and therefore you will need to be certified if you are having work done on your own property!

Please let me know if you hear of classes for this lead paint certification in the Seattle area!

No comments: